The Recovery Loan Scheme (RLS) launched on 6 April 2021 and supports access to finance for UK businesses as they recover and grow following the Covid-19 pandemic.
RLS aims to help businesses affected by Covid-19 and can be used for business purposes, including, managing cashflow, investment and growth. It is designed to support businesses that can afford to take out additional finance for these purposes.
A key aim of the Recovery Loan Scheme is to improve the terms on offer to businesses, if we can offer a business the choice of a commercial loan on better terms, without requiring the guarantee provided by the RLS, we will do so.
Businesses who have taken out a CBILS, CLBILS or BBLS facility are able to access the new scheme.
The Scheme will run until 31 December 2021, subject to review.
Scheme features include:
– Up to £10m facility per business: The maximum amount of a facility provided under the scheme is £10m per business (maximum £30m per group). The minimum facility size offered by Simply is £30,000.
– Term length: Asset finance facilities are available from twelve months for up to six years.
– Interest and fees to be paid by the borrower from the outset: Businesses are required to meet the costs of interest payments and any fees associated with the RLS facility.
– Access to multiple Covid-19 schemes: Businesses that have taken out a CBILS, CLBILS or BBLS facility are able to access the new scheme although the amount they have borrowed under a previous scheme may in certain circumstances limit the amount they may borrow under RLS.
– Personal Guarantees: Personal guarantees are not permitted for facilities of £250,000 or less. Above £250,000 the maximum amount that can be covered under RLS is capped at a maximum of 20% of the outstanding balance of the RLS facility after the proceeds of business assets have been applied. No personal guarantees can be held over Principal Private Residences.
– Guarantee to Simply: The scheme provides Simply with a government-backed guarantee against the outstanding balance of the facility. You always remain 100% liable for the debt.
– Covid-19 impact: You must confirm to the lender that you have been impacted by Covid-19.
– UK-based: You must be carrying out trading activity in the UK.
– Viability test: We will consider whether your business has a viable business proposition but may disregard any concerns over its short-to-medium term business performance due to the uncertainty and impact of Covid-19.
– Credit and fraud checks for all applicants: We will be required to undertake credit and fraud checks for all applicants.
– Turnover limit: There is no turnover restriction for businesses accessing the scheme.
Please note: The following are not eligible under RLS:
– Banks, Building Societies, Insurers and Reinsurers (excluding Insurance Brokers)
– Public sector bodies.
– State funded primary and secondary schools.
The British Business Bank has a range of guidance and resources available to all businesses, including content on managing your cashflow and a list of independent advice services.
The Recovery Loan Scheme is managed by the British Business Bank on behalf of, and with the financial backing of, the Secretary of State for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy. British Business Bank plc is a development bank wholly owned by HM Government. It is not authorised or regulated by the PRA or the FCA. Visit http://www.british-business-bank.co.uk/recovery-loan-scheme